Monday, May 24, 2010

Years of Wisdom

Work is hell right now.  That's right.  I said it.  I hate being caught in the middle of drama (necessarily caught in the middle, but caught none the less).  I hate that my friend and co-worker was treated horribly by a very dishonorably evil man.  I hate that an old employee can call you and smile, pick up a paycheck, and destroy your company.  I hate all those things.  And today was the summit of it all.

When I picked up my little man, I realized that every second that I spend on work drama is one second taken away from my son having a happy, attentive mom when I am home.  It is a very hard line to walk but I realized that I have had years of advice from friends, family and enemies.

From my friend Steph: "How much stomach bile and I going to continue to donate to this issue?"  So very, very wise.

From my sister, Kari: "We fought a war in heaven for our agency.  How we choose to use it against others will be our judgment in the eternities."

From Charlee: "Don't be a whiner, Piner."  Ok, that only works for her because her last name is Piner.

From an old psych co-worker: "Oh, pull up your bootstraps cowboy and get gettin'.  Have you ever seen cowboy cry?  Doesn't exactly get the cows moving."  This from a man in a meticulous three-piece suit and spectacles...

From Aaron: "I guess every time I work on something I need to do, I quit digging a hole for myself.  Today I decided to put down the shovel." It all starts by simply putting down the shovel.

From an enemy:  "I hate you.  Half the world hates you.  Take a good look at why we hate you and change.  Or don't.  Your choice."  Okay, I am not stupid enough to think that half the world hates me, but a handful of people do and whether they have justification or not, they have their perspective.  And that is something to look at.

From my Savior. Jesus Christ:  "Peace.  Be Still."  Probably the most profound wisdom of the ages.  Be Still.  More importantly... peace.  

I realized that the malicious and hurtful plans I have for those people who have betrayed my trust do not bring about peace.  I could very easily destroy the professional lives of many people at the end of today, but at what cost?  Peace.

So, I will go to work tomorrow and be still.  Others will do what they will do.  I will leave people to their agency and choices.  

No comments:

Post a Comment