I have been given a lot of flack lately. Especially from work and, well, one friend in particular - about being so "damn optimistic all the time". I am not the in-your-face "You must be having a bad Monday" sort of optimist (and for all of you who didn't get that reference - watch the movie Office Space...). I try to realize that things that happen aren't the end of the world and just work through them in the best way possible.
Now, I am NOT talking about the things like death and terminal illness sort of stuff. That is huge and I take that very seriously. I am talking about - someone forgot something for a potluck or a nurse forgot a not-so-important paper. Or bills come that I can't pay immediately. Rather than freaking out about things, calmly figuring something out seems like a better thing, but I tend to get razzed about it pretty hard.
Example:
Coworker: "it is so #$%@ing cold outside. I want it warm."
Me: "I kinda like it. It keeps the snow on the ground. White Christmas and all that..."
Coworker: "But I freeze my butt off every year."
Me: "Yeah, but in August we will miss it."
Coworker "Says the person who sat in traffic for 2 1/2 hours the other day because of the storm."
Me: "I didn't mind it. I had 4 wheel drive, a warm car, cocoa, and Christmas music playing."
Coworker: "Shut up. I hate people like you who are so happy to have a crappy life."
By 'crappy life' I think he meant the snow and being in it, but I didn't quite understand how being happy is a bad thing. Snow is going to fall, traffic is going to be slow, winter is going to be cold. These are things we choose to deal with when we choose to live in Utah. Might as well find a way to enjoy it.
But the marshmallows did melt on the drive into work. Maybe I should pout about that...
I love your attitude Becki! I always say "change is inevitable, how we handle it determines who we are". We miss you here in Bountiful. -- Suzanne Jones
ReplyDelete