Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Mardi Gras and Marilyn

I don't drink.  I don't party.  So, why celebrate Mardi Gras?  I really don't know, but if I don't find things to celebrate, why be alive?  Even if it is making Gumbo for the first time.  Uncle Chris, Aiden, and I did what we could think of - short of going to Bourbon Street.  We made dirty rice, gumbo, and "bead" cake.

Kilbasa Gumbo.  Turned out yummy...


Our purple and green Mardi Gras "beads".

Then we watched "Some Like it Hot" with Marilyn Monroe.  I am not quite sure how that fits in to the Mardi Gras theme, but it was so fun to see again.  I remember watching this movie often with my mother when I was a child.  My favorite line is when Jack Lemon gets engaged to the yaught-owning man... he says "I'm a boy.  I'm a boy.  Oh, boy, I'm a boy.  I wish I was dead."  Tony Curtis and Jack Lemmon were HIDEOUS women.  Tony more than Jack.  Marilyn Monroe was so pretty (and I remember hearing once she was a size 14 in this movie ...hope for us chunkier women), but  I did not realize how scantily clad she is throughout the movie.


Marilyn Monroe Some L



How did they get away with this??  Yes, it is a dress. But barely.


And I know that Mardi Gras is to release all a person's debauchery before Lent.  So, cupcakes are eaten, my debauchery is over.  Now for Lent.  What to give up?!   Fast food tacos.  Gooood luck with that...

No comments:

Post a Comment