First, the monastery. No pictures, but if you have not been there... go. It is amazing and peaceful. I am not a Catholic, but it is so amazing to see all the men that have given their lives in the service of God. While I was there, I bought some honey. Orange honey. It is so good. The monk in the store is Father Patrick. I used to get honey at the monastery every week there when I lived in Eden. And I missed it.
I was waiting in line, when Father Patrick looked up. He said, "I know you!" I replied that I used to live up there and came by often for honey. He said, "It must have been five years ago." (Actually, it was 6, but for an older man, he has a good memory). He said, "You came in once a long time ago and I saw despair in your eyes. I prayed for you for three days. I lit a candle for you and prayed that God would ease your suffering." And I teared up. I replied that when I lived up in Eden, my mother had just passed away and I was mourning. I told him it was the darkest, saddest time of my life. He asked me if he could bless me. I didn't know what that entailed, but I figure that even though I am not Catholic, God hears all the prayers of those who pray in faith and have good intentions. He took one of my hands in both of his and said a prayer in Latin that I didn't understand. Then he said, "May God's blessings go with you." And I did feel blessed. What an amazing man.
After the monastery, we went to Pineview. It was crazy busy and crazy hot. But we just needed to put our feet in the water and eat a little lunch and imbibe in a little Diet Pepsi. Mister liked the water, but not the sand.
He is not fond of sand. It got in his mouth and... other places....
We finished off the day with a barbecue at Smedleys house and a very quiet night.
No comments:
Post a Comment