Thursday, March 11, 2010

Profound

This morning on my way to work, I was listening to NPR (I know.. .NERD!)  and they had the Archbishop Desmond Tutu on as a guest.
 
What a profound man!!  He said something right as he was signing off that made me really think.  He was a very active participant in fighting against apartheid in South Africa and had to witness the very lowest, most brutal actions of mankind including torture that they said they could not describe on radio.  He was asked if he had a different relationship with God now that he had to go through so much.  This was his answer:

"I have learned to shut up and just be there. I used to bring my laundry list to God to fix and give him timelines to give me results.  I realized that  God is like a warm fire on a cold night.  When you fuss and move about hurriedly, you lose the benefit of the fire.  When you just sit and are quiet, you don't have to be smart.  You don't have to be profound.  You just need to be there.  Quiet.  The fire will warm you just simply by you being there.  So it is with God."  

Wow!  I realized that the Lord must be sick of my laundry list and my problems.  Just to be there and enjoy the company and the "warmth" of the Lord.  To slow down and shut up.  

Now, that is something to work hard to do.  Learn to be still.

No comments:

Post a Comment